The Great Blue Heron is currently looking for 2 part time 1st Cooks for a 6 & 8 month contract.
The duty of the 1st Cook is to provide excellent service & food to casino guests and staff using the cafeteria. The 1st Cook will be required to work independently, with other cooks and under the supervision of the Sous Chef.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote the values of the Great Blue Heron Cultural Compass by example at all times and guide staff in adopting these values as a way of operating daily at the Great Blue Heron
- Preparation of buffet, line menu items (a la carte), cafeteria and catering items according to specifications and guest requests.
- Prepare line menu (a la carte) orders according to specifications, ensure proper presentation and garnishment of dishes fast and efficiently
- Prepare all food items with the prep assistance of 3rd Cook under the supervision of the Sous Chef and/or Kitchen Manager
- Bake, roast, steam, broil and otherwise cook food
- Control waste and spoilage and restock any low items during shift
- Plan and prepare daily menu and buffet items based upon ease of production, recipe specifications, current inventory and guest comments along with assistance of Sous Chefs and Kitchen Manager
- Ensure quality food preparation and promptness of food products
- Ensure all prep, re-stocking and cleaning is completed prior to the end of shift
- Set-up, restock and tear down of buffet
- Assist with the duties of other kitchen staff as needed
- Perform other duties as required by the Sous Chef
Education and Experience:
- Must have formal culinary training with 4-5 years of progressive culinary experience in a large kitchen
- To accept training as necessary when required by the Kitchen Supervisor, Kitchen Manager or F&B Manager
- WHMIS Certified
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of kitchen equipment and exceptional knife skills
- Ability to give and follow directions in friendly and professional manner
Ability to perform tasks and duties effectively and safely within prescribed time limits
Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with company and departmental policies and procedures
Be thoroughly familiar with the causes of food poisoning and method of prevention
Maintain a positive working relationship with fellow employees and management as part of a team
Excellent customer service skills in order maintain a good rapport with customers and employees
Ability to work independently and under pressure in a fast paced environment
We offer a competitive Salary, life insurance, RRSP's, Employee Assistance programs, free parking and discounted meals in our staff cafeteria and a GREAT PLACE TO WORK.
You must be 18yrs or older to work at the Great Blue Heron Casino
The successful candidate will be required to provide a criminal background check. If you need assistance/accommodation during the recruiting process then please contact the our HR department.
Only Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.